Just across the mighty Mississippi River from New Orleans is Bayou Segnette State Park, offering visitors a rural escape from the lively French Quarter. Whether you're in the Big Easy for Mardi Gras or traveling across the South in search of fun in an RV, Bayou Segnette State Park is a worthy stopover and a chance to take in some of Louisiana's beautiful scenery.
Bayou Segnette State Park Facts
- Bayou Segnette State Park is located 15 minutes from downtown New Orleans.
- Its size is slightly less than 700 acres.
- Visitors to Bayou Segnette State Park have access to two different kinds of wetlands: swamp and marsh.
- Popular activities at Bayou Segnette State Park include canoeing, fishing, birding, and hiking.
- Bayou Segnette State Park's cabins were damaged by flooding in 2005 during Hurricane Katrina, and the damage revealed termite damage. The cabins were rebuilt without wood, so they're termite-proof. In addition, the cabins float on pontoons, able to rise and fall with tides.
Bayou Segnette State Park Tips
- There's a $3/person entry fee to visit Bayou Segnette State Park.
- The gates of Bayou Segnette State Park are open from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- You can bring a pet with you to Bayou Segnette State Park, but you must keep them on a leash, and they aren't allowed into any buildings (including cabins and lodges).
- If you want to go fishing at Bayou Segnette State Park, there are no additional fees, but you do need a Louisiana fishing license.
- If you're spending the night at Bayou Segnette State Park, there is a maximum stay of 14 consecutive nights.
Best Bayou Segnette State Park RV Campgrounds
RV travelers love to visit the New Orleans area, so you have many different RV campgrounds to choose from. Here are several of the best Bayou Segnette State Park RV campgrounds at which to park your rig and rest each night.
Bayou Segnette State Park Campground
When visiting Bayou Segnette State Park, where better to stay than at one of the park's many RV campsites? There are picnic tables available and a playground for the kids. There are water and electric hookups at all campsites, as well as a comfort station. Keep in mind that peak season runs from April to October, so be prepared for competition and slightly higher fees (there's about a $5 difference between peak and non-peak).
Capacity: 97 RV sites
More Information: Bayou Segnette State Park Campground
Jude Travel Park
The Best Value in the Big Easy isn't far from Bayou Segnette State Park. A gated RV campground with full hookups (30/50 amp electric), free Wi-Fi, a saltwater pool, and heated showers, Jude Travel Park is great for families with pets. The owners live on-site, so if you have questions about Bayou Segnette State Park, the nearby French Quarter, or even just have any campsite issues, don't hesitate to be in touch.
Capacity: 46 RV sites
More Information: Jude Travel Park
New Orleans RV Resort and Marina
Located to the northeast of Bayou Segnette State Park on the shores of Lake Pontchartrain, the New Orleans RV Resort and Marina is a premier RV camping destination. There are six different types of RV campsites here, along with a convenience store, laundry facilities, horseshoe pits, pool, hot tub, and more. If you've brought along a boat, make use of the dock slips and boat launches available!
Capacity: 160 RV sites
More Information: New Orleans RV Resort & Marina
New Orleans KOA Holiday
The New Orleans KOA Holiday is located right on the Mississippi River, a 20-minute drive from Bayou Segnette State Park. They have electric hookups, Wi-Fi, a seasonally-open pool (mid-April to mid-October), and firewood and propane for sale. If you're in town for Mardi Gras, the French Quarter and Bourbon Street are nearby. They strongly advise guests to not use GPS to find them.
Capacity: 97 RV sites
More Information: New Orleans KOA Holiday
Three Oaks and a Pine RV Park
You're just 22 minutes away from Bayou Segnette State Park when you stay at Three Oaks and a Pine RV Park. You have access to 20/30/50 amp electric hookups, 24-hour showers, and a laundry room, all secure behind a password-protected security gate. This is a pet-friendly RV campground, so bring the whole family! All of the sites are spacious, but back-in only; if you need assistance, ask!
Capacity: 32 RV sites
More Information: Three Oaks and a Pine RV Park
Things To Do in Bayou Segnette State Park
Fishing. Given its location, there is the option for either saltwater fishing or freshwater fishing at Bayou Segnette State Park. Anglers can try to catch bass, catfish, bream, perch, redfish, or trout.
Hiking. There are 3 miles of forested trails to explore at Bayou Segnette State Park, with spring hiking showing off wildflowers.
Canoeing/Kayaking. If you like to get on the water, you can do that, but be sure to bring your own kayak or canoe as there are no boat rentals.
Picnicking. Bayou Segnette State Park is a wonderful setting to gather with family and enjoy a meal.
Wildlife Watching. Bayou Segnette State Park represents a unique ecosystem, with not only vegetation but wildlife on abundant display for visitors.
Visit Bayou Segnette State Park With Cruise America
You have the information you need for a visit to Bayou Segnette State Park, but you lack an RV. Not to worry! Cruise America has RVs for sale or rent, in a wide variety of lengths and floorplans. If you're itching to see Bayou Segnette State Park in an RV, get in touch with Cruise America today!